Thursday, June 7, 2012

On becoming Indonesian...


As my time dwindles down in Batu and I prepare to leave for Jombang, I am reflecting on how I'm feeling about life in Indonesia so far.

Selalu sakit di Indonesia
Always sick in Indonesia

I have had some sort of problem at least once a week, ranging from my eyes to my stomach to my head to my legs aching. Most of this is regular adjustment to the food and the climate, but each time I find myself back in the bathroom with issues at both ends, I pray that that is the last time this is gonna happen...it usually isn't.


Sudah selesai dengan 6 minggu kelas Bahasa Indonesia
Already finished with 6 weeks of Bahasa Indonesia class

I have finished 6 weeks of language training in Bahasa Indonesia and my test results showed that I am at an intermediate mid level. Allegedly this was good for the Peace Corps, as some got intermediate low and some got beginner status, but I could have just been told that to boost my confidence! Either way, I feel really confident in my Bahasa Indonesia, and I am excited to get a tutor for the next year to continue to improve. My host family has already complimented me on my language acquisition, which is probably one of the best compliments I have gotten here so far! 

Saiki, kelas Basa Jawa
Now, Bahasa Jawa class

I am currently taking one week of Bahasa Jawa which is, BONUS, three languages in one. The Javanese people are big on speaking to people of different ages and social standings with different levels. Not sure that I'm convinced that this is actually a bonus, more like a headache as I have to think about how to say one word 2-3 different ways...luckily, Bahasa Indonesia was created after Basa Jawa and borrowed many words, so some of the words that I already know in Bahasa Indonesia carry over into Basa Jawa.



Ngoko
("nGO-ko")
Krama
("Kromo")
Krama Alus
 ("Kromo Ah-lus")
Spoken with people the same age as you, same social status, close friends
Spoken with older, respected people in the community. When mixed with Ngoko, used to speak to elder family members, as this signifies a mixture of closeness but respect.
Spoken with, from what I gather, VIPs, like the President! But maybe also with local government officials, too.
Aku arep mangan.
I want to eat.

Dheweke duwe anak 3.
She has three kids.
Kula badhe nedha.
I want to eat.

Piyambakipun gadhah anak 3.
She has three kids.
Kula badhe dhahar.
I want to eat.

Panjenenganipun kagungan anak 3.
She has three kids.

As if life can't get any more complicated with this language, the Javanese love to shorten words. "Gak apa apa" becomes "gak pa pa" and numbers that are already only two syllables become one syllable by only using the last syllable. For a country with rubber time, I haven't figured out why there's a big hurry to say words faster!

First Impressions



As part of a portfolio project during Pre-Service Training, I had to ask my host family what they thought about me at the beginning, and what they think now. Based on the picture they received of me before I came, my host sister thought that I was about 28 and married (wow, did I look that good in the picture below?). I asked her it she thought that my husband was coming with me to Indonesia, and she said she knew he wasn't. Interesting that she was so nonchalant about the fact that I was going to leave my "husband" behind for 2 years...



Anyways, my host brother and his wife talked reflected on my curiosity, open-mindedness and enthusiasm. They think that these are good qualities to have in a new country; I agree! My host brother also said I was a little creepy, but he laughed hysterically as he said that. I hope that this isn't true...I think he was just excited to be using the word I'd taught him! My host sister-in-law also threw in that she thinks I'll be a good mother. Not sure where that fits in, but I'll take it!

Unexpected Experiences





Three friends and I attended an event on Monday that can only be described as the Indonesian version of a dance competition not unlike the movie "Step Up." Except this competition was linked to some sort of honorary military day, so everyone competing in the dance competition was either from the army/navy/air force/police, or the wife of the aforementioned people.


Basically, we went to see my friend's ibu (mom) and her dance students do traditional dancing. We figured there would be a stage and about an hour or two of traditional dancing in which various ensembles came onto the stage and danced.

Instead, the event was in a soccer field. It began with a parade of all the officials' soccer teams marching in with their similarly-clad teammates, like the Olympics. Then we got to sing Indonesia Raya, the national anthem of which I know approximately 10 words. Then the competition started...3 dance troops of 20-30 officers and wives danced at the same time. Each group danced to a traditional East Timorese song, "Poco Poco."  Meaning that each time 3 new groups came to the field to dance, the same song restarted. This experience definitely brought me back to Togo and how we constantly shrugged, saying, "Bienvenue à l'Afrique!" (Welcome to Africa!). We used this phrase whenever something that just blew our minds happened, but for the Togolese the bizarreness of the situation was totally normal.

But back to Indonesia.

Let's be real here, why would there NOT be Indonesian dance troops made of army men and their wives competing for 2 hours to the same song over and over again with dance moves that can only be described as straight from an aerobics class?!?!

 I rest my case. This is exactly like "Bienvenue à l'Afrique!"  Although for cultural sensitivity purposes, "Selamat Datang di Indonesia!"  That better?

The Enthusiastic Crowd!

This lady LOVED the boomwhackers!

Woo, go military dancers!

And the dance troops

Look at that center woman's pizzazz! Reminds me of Kels and Scott in tap dance! 

This group even had the sweatbands, just like aerobics class!


_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Just to round out this post about how I'm feeling about live here so far...

Why I could live in Indonesia forever:
- Some of my clothes are different than people's clothing here and I am- let's call it what it is- super white, so I'm constantly called "cantik!" (beautiful). So great for my self-esteem!
- More organic food, albeit all cooked in oil...
- Lots of sweet food
- Someone is always willing to help you if you have any question
- You can go to a tailor to have clothes made for you, exactly how you want them, and you do not leave bankrupt
- Laundry can dry outside all year long!


Why I could not live in Indonesia forever:
- It has only been 2/27 months, and I'm already sick of white rice.
- My chocolate addiction is going to make me bankrupt, as chocolate is more expensive than most snacks.
- Eating salad results in being nasty sick because the lettuce was not washed in, I don't know, bleach or something! Yes, I am speaking from experience. Therefore, no uncooked veggies. Yet.
- Catholics and Christians are two separate religions. That's too much of a headache to try to figure out.
- Public, LOUD burping is not impolite, nor does it require an "Excuse me." I have yet to burp without saying, "Excuse me."

No comments:

Post a Comment