Monday, January 14, 2013

From naughty to nice


Happy New Year! Blog posts to come about my trips to Sumatra and Singapore, I promise! 

Each semester we have a PC report we must do, and one component of it is "Share Your Story." In this section, we reflect on a challenge we had, how we addressed it, and what the results were. Admittedly, I thought there'd be more of these inspiring stories when I joined Peace Corps, yet not too many pop to mind. Perhaps with some more reflecting...??? Either way, this story makes me grin just thinking about these guys!

 January 2013, reflecting on semester one of teaching in Indonesia:

When I first arrived at my school and began teaching, I immediately noticed the lack of discipline and consequence for students, namely boys, who did not attend school. Even when they do attend, these boys in class 10-2 were disengaged and sleepy. They were frequently absent and there appeared to be virtually no way to get them to come. Parents didn't seem to offer punishment at home for those who didn't go to school (granted, my sample size is about 3, but of the many more that are frequently absent, I bet their situation is the same), and the school certainly didn't threaten them with any failing grades. This is the land where everyone passes, hooray! As an outsider whose focus is sustainability and community integration, there is not much I perceived I could do by way of issuing consequences that would a) have a lasting effect after I leave or b) be culturally relevant (like detention...it just doesn't exist at my school).

Thus, my counterpart Bu Umi and I focused on what we did have the power to do- encourage and empower! We began to very frequently engage and interact with the boys who were often absent, reinforcing that we valued their presence and participation when they were in class. When they answered questions, I responded with a goofy grin and a handshake or high five, which in turn was met with the whole class cheering. Bu Umi spent more time helping these boys one-on-one when it was independent work time.

The results are in, and this method of encouraging and empowering has been perhaps my biggest personal success as a teacher! Many of the "naughty boys" from class 10-2 now attend class every day and participate. Granted, it is rather exhausting to keep them engaged, because the material must not be too hard but still fast-paced to keep their attention. But virtually all of their grades have gone up, they are much more respectful, and try to do their work during independent work time. Bu Umi and I certainly cannot take all the credit for this change, as it namely comes from the boys themselves. Yet I still could not be more proud of them for the way they have begun to take their schoolwork seriously. All it took from Bu Umi and I was persistently giving them the message that we believe in them, gave them plenty of opportunities to try, and showed them that we respect and care about them. It is not too often in my young age that I have been in a position to be so proud of someone I want to cry, but Nahru, Nanang, Fais, Fanani, Ahmad and Amrul  have put me in that position, and I coudn't be happier!

Naughty boys from IPS-I who are, well, still naughty at this point. But I didn't have any pictures of the no-longer-naughty boys from class 10-2...

It's hard to remember sometimes, but even the murid yang paling nakal (the naughtiest student) is gifted in so many ways that you don't always get to see in the classroom. This guy can's speak a lick of English after 11 years in school, learning English every year, mind you, but he's an amazing musician. 

...And this is where the boys are supposed to be practicing what to do in Mecca, though it obviously shouldn't involve a blanket on one's head...

1 comment:

  1. Nice post, Sarah! It sounds like you're having many of the same struggles that I am, and this is just what I needed to read right now, to get me up off my butt and going to talk to one of my "naughty boys." I hope things continue to improve for you!

    ReplyDelete