Wednesday, July 2, 2014

There and Back Again


I've been home for nearly 3 weeks now, and countless people have asked me, "How was it?"

Depending on the mood I'm in, answers change drastically.

One day, I answered, "Well, I didn't love my job." Then I proceeded to explain the wild schooling system that frustrated me for two years.

The same day, after spending time texting loved ones from Indonesia, I was reminded of how much love and happiness I experienced there. I promptly answered, "How was Indonesia?" with an enthusiastic, "It was great!"

Needless to say, two years can't be summed up in a one-minute response. Indonesia has become a bigger part of my life than I ever imagined it would or could be. Here's some glimpses into cultural readjustment that have passed into my realm of consciousness in the last 3 weeks.


******

  • Listening to music? I'd way more rather listen to cheesy Indonesian pop love songs. Haven't turned on the American radio at all yet! New favorites include: Dari Hati and Tercipta Untukku
  • When I'm in the car (I haven't driven yet), there's often a moment when my heart drops in fear because we have just made a turn...onto the wrong side of the road!
  • I spent two years annoyed at people asking to take my picture. But when Michael Zimmerman showed up at my house, he was so tall (6'4'' maybe) that I freaked out and immediately asked for a picture...just like countless Indonesians did to me. 

  • I'm so used to added costs that when the man at the bank notarized my letter for FREE, I was shocked!
  • It's normal to try out an electronic product in Indonesia before buying it, so I was extremely annoyed at Best Buy yesterday when I had to buy headphones without getting to test them out first. I had to buy them, try them at the store, and then immediately return them.

  • I shopped in Woodman's with Dad and I was literally freezing in the freezer section. However, one week later, I am pretty comfortable in air conditioning. 

  • I was not an English major and I never cared about grammar. Then I became an English teacher for two years and learned to pay attention. I could tell you the proper way to decide if a comparative adjective uses "-er" or "more." Two years ago, I would have stared at you blankly if you asked me what the rule was. Now, I catch myself mentally correcting other people's grammar.
  • We cooked stir fry for six people the other night and mom told me to use five chicken breasts. I couldn't believe it. "Five!?" In Indonesia, a dish for six people would have used one or two chicken breasts.

  • I’m better connected with Indonesian friends now than I was in the village because of my smart phone. That blows my mind, but it's also a huge blessing and essential for my relationships. 
  • I mentioned "SMS-ing" someone, and Mrs. Zimmerman asked what "SMS" means. For the record, it's "texting" with your phone. In every other country I've visited, it's called an SMS, not a text.

  • When you meet or greet someone in Indonesia, you put your hands together like Americans do, but you don't shake hands up and down. It's a quick clasp and then you touch your hand to your chest to show the person that you recognize him/her. Sometimes, I have to consciously stop myself from doing that.   
  • I went to the eye doctor, who dilated my eyes. Then I sat alone in the room for 15 minutes waiting for him to come back. I caught myself just sitting there patiently- doing nothing- and smiled to myself. Another Peace Corps volunteer once said that when we return home from Indonesia, we are so patient. You'll be fine to just sit and watch paint dry. There I was in the room, waiting, doing nothing. And it didn't phase me much. 

  • I've had to actively prevent myself from saying Indonesian words in the middle of my sentences. "Ya ampun," "Ternyata," and "Apa ya?" are some favorites!
  • I craved rice for the first time 2 days ago, and promptly made fried rice!


Overall, however, being home feels...normal. I've had fun going on a family vacation, seeing friends, eating all the food I missed, and wearing "normal" clothes. It's amazing how quickly I've adapted back to what life used to be like pre-Peace Corps. It's also amazing how quickly I seem to have forgotten the "bad" things about Indonesia and remember all the great things still there, waiting for me to visit again! 



No comments:

Post a Comment